Temple News Agency first opened in 1918 as the Chicago News Agency at 814 Jefferson Avenue, owned by Albert H. Voras in the Masonic Temple in LaPorte, IN.1918
Listed as "Union News Co, N Y C Depot" in Smith's Directory of LaPorte, IN 1924-1925
By 1926, the Chicago News Agency's address had changed to 816 Jefferson Ave, the same address Temple has today.1926
In 1929, Voras took on a partner, Wilbur Flickinger, with Wilbur's sister Esther working in the shop as a clerk. At this time the name was changed to the LaPorte News Agency.1929
In 1931, the name was listed for the first time as Temple News Agency alongside LaPorte News Agency1931
Esther Flickinger owned Temple for over 50 years, selling it in 1982. During this time additional goods were added to the newspapers.1982
Temple changed hands a few times in the 1980s. This period saw the addition of an old fashioned soda fountain and ice cream.1982-1994
In 1994, Michael Sitar purchased Temple News Agency and began serving food and coffee, selling more magazines, and hosting live events like poetry reading, open mic nights, and live music.
This period also saw walls being broken down as Temple expanded into the space at 818 Jefferson, offering more seating for patrons and events.
Joe and Haley Whicker take the helm of Temple News Agency, introducing Intelligentsia coffee, more specialty drinks, and a new feel.
In Temple's 100th year, J.D. and Jennifer Flynn take over, focusing on making the best coffee and scooping the best ice cream in town. With the support of the community and a great staff, the Flynns look forward to many years of both carrying the legacy, and taking Temple News Agency into its next 100 years.